Sunday, August 12, 2012

Leaving Behind Normal

Hey guys,
Wow, I really have forgotten to write haven't I? Well I will catch this blog up to the current time. Presently I'm on a light pink couch in Finland, my wonderful host mother is making herself tea in the kitchen, and downstairs there is probably a bunny terrorizing my new room. But how did I get here? That really is a story.
On August 4th, 2012, I zipped my life into a suitcase and said goodbye to normal. Dad and Sean (brother) took me to the airport at 11 o'clock at night. When I got there, I was met by some of the best people in the world who came to see me off. Claire, Kelly, Torie, Spencer, Deenaalee, and Harry all came with smiles and tears to wish me well on during the best year of my life. I am terrible at saying goodbye, so seeing them all leave one by one made the reality of my departure extremely clear. After tearful hugs and final good wishes they did leave, which left me alone with the two best people in my life. Sean and Dad sat with me while I cried and they just talked with me. It came to the point while we were sitting there that I did not want to leave Fairbanks. I was so scared that I felt sick, and I finally realized that I was going away for an entire year. Never before in my life had I even been that terrified to do anything. But, while this was my weakest moment, it was also my strongest. I got up off the bench and hugged my brother and father one last time, then got on the escalator and didn't look back.

More later,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. Katie, this is so true. I agree with you so much... same happened to me...it was so hard. But it is so worth it :)

    ReplyDelete